Wednesday, January 4, 2012

New Years Are Like New Baby's Clean Bottoms.....

...they sure are cute but can cause quite a stink! And so the New Year is here and I have resolved to de-clutter my house. What  better time than after I pull down the Christmas decor but before I put out my old standbys again.

Wednesdays in the Simple Life Series are for YOUR CLUTTER (and yes, it multiplies in my home too). I will let you know what I am doing to make simple changes in my own home to clear out my clutter. I hope you follow along and try some of these steps yourself. Please let me know how you are coming along by leaving comments at the bottom of each post. Tell me what works, what doesn’t, if you are bored – whatever – we are learning and growing together.

Over the past few years, many "gu-rus" have spouted that a "cluttered home is a cluttered mind" or a "cluttered mind is a cluttered life." I, for one, agree. On the material end, if you have alot of clutter around your home or personal space, it's hard to work, relax, and rest with all that stuff in your way. On the spiritual side, it's hard to work, relax and rest with your mind jumbled with too many thoughts crowding around!
No, this is NOT my house - is it yours? 

We all have stuff. Some of us have more stuff than others, but we all have things that classify as clutter. Clutter is not just the trophies collecting dust on your book shelves or the piles of magazines by your bed you haven't read yet. It is really ANYTHING that is in your personal space that you don't love, don't use, don't want, don't need, have duplicates, or otherwise just need to clear out.

 It could be:

- those boxes of things that you moved from your old house and never unpacked
 - the three weed eaters and four rakes piled on the back porch,
- the dried homecoming corsages from high school you can't part with, or
 - serious clutter like the things you stored from Aunt Alice's house when she passed, 10
   years ago!

Whatever YOUR particular definition of clutter may be, it's time to get it moving - and by moving I don't mean looking through the box and moving it to the back of the closet. Having clutter is like having extra weight on your shoulders. You can't relax when you are surrounded by stuff because all you can think about is "when am I ever going to get to cleaning up this stuff?"

Take heart. I happen to be obsessed with sorting through, organizing or getting rid of clutter. I have come to realize that what works for me doesn't always work for others, but I can give you some starting tips. Take my tips and apply them to your own clutter - they may just stop the mounds from multiplying further!

For a good laugh on how I became crazed on clutter, visit Kendal Kleanz It Out

Later, we will tackle the big stuff head-on, but for starters, let’s review the schedule and how this things works. Each "mission” will have 1) a mission statement 2) an assignment 3) extra quick tips and 4) a brief explanation on why each mission helps you clear the clutter from your personal spaces. I will be personally completing these assignments and posting my triumphs and hope you will post your adventure too.


CLUTTER SERIES SCHEDULE:
                             Wed. Jan, 11th -Mission One: Purging Your Pantry - Consistency is the key.

 Wed. Jan. 18th - Mission Two: Uncovering your "undies" - yes, your underwear! - If it is broken, torn, damaged, dirty or otherwise in bad shape - don't Duct tape it -get rid of it


Wed. Jan. 25th - Mission Three: Tackling your towels - Find YOUR method to YOUR madness.


Wed. Feb. 1st- Mission Four: Sorting the dreaded sock drawer - Sometimes, less is more


Wed. Feb. 8th Mission Five: Books - Reduce, Recycle and Repurpose


Wed. Feb. 15th Mission Six: Magazines and Catalogs - Reduce, Recycle and Repurpose


Wed. Feb. 22nd Mission Seven: Multi-Media - Reduce, Recycle and Repurpose


Wed. Feb. 29th- Mission Eight: De-constructing your dinnerware - Simplicity is a proven clutter reducer


Wed. March 7th- Mission Nine: Home Office Horror - Clearing your clutter helps clear your mind


Wed. March 14th - Mission Ten: Pruning the plants, house plants that is - Small steps make big impacts










No comments: